Campus Sustainability Day (CSD) celebrates sustainability in higher education.
Each October, colleges and universities are encouraged to create events on campus and elsewhere that draw participants for the exchange of ideas and knowledge among faculty, staff, and students, from across all departments and disciplines, and even from across the campus “edge” between town and gown.
CSD is devoted specifically to the achievements of, and challenges for, the tens of thousands of students, faculty, and staff working to instill sustainability principles in higher education institutions and their surrounding communities.
CSD is held annually on the 4th Wednesday of October, with celebrations occurring all week, and throughout the entire month of October.
Since 2003, Campus Sustainability Day (CSD) has been a time to reflect on the success of the sustainability movement in higher education. Hundreds of campuses and dozens of supporting organizations have contributed to the national day of celebration by hosting discussions, webcasts, panels, and more. Learn more
Plan an Event on Campus
Campuses and organizations are invited to host an event celebrating your sustainability accomplishments, or the theme of this year’s Campus Sustainability Day. Hold an event on your campus or in your community, commit to a shared challenge, and help raise the bar for sustainability leadership in higher education as we take the next steps forward together.
Past participants of Campus Sustainability Day got involved to:
- engage campus stakeholders
- celebrate a success on campus
- bring visibility to work being done on campus
Examples of past activities include:
- Denison University celebrates each year by launching its annual campus sustainability pledge on Campus Sustainability Day. Campus events include a Quad celebration and pledge signing, a sustainability wellness walk, composting education, and an “Arbor Day in the Fall” planting of trees on campus.
- Montgomery County Community College used a cafeteria to host booths and activities displaying progress on sustainability from across the campus and community.
- Michigan State University celebrates Campus Sustainability Week, with week-long comprehensive programming.
Find more ideas shared from previous years on the Campus Sustainability Day Facebook page or see a list of CSD 2012 events or CSD 2011 events. Keep in mind that a company providing services to the campus (food, construction, etc.) might be interested in sponsoring an event.
Share Your Event
If you already have activities planned for CSD, be sure to let everyone know by filling out the following form. Your event will be listed along with events taking place around the country. It may take a few days to process your responses.
Share Your Photos
Please share your photos showcasing your Campus Sustainability Day celebrations, activities, and actions to address sustainability on campus.
To submit photos, please post your photos to the Campus Sustainability Day Facebook wall and be sure to include a caption and the name of your school. We will collect photos throughout the month of October and compile all photos in a CSD Facebook Photo Album.
Stay in touch
Like our Facebook Page, stay in touch via the mailing list, and check back on this site often and with supporting organizations for more information about upcoming events. Be sure to use our hashtag #csd2014 on Twitter!
- Sign up to receive email updates from supporting organizations
- Learn more about the supporting organizations for CSD
- Campus Sustainability Day Facebook page
- Campus Sustainability Day LinkedIn Group